Wild Alaska Halibut Chowder
Hearty homemade soup for a warm treat on those cold fall and winter days from Great Alaska Seafood
||From the recipe files of Alaska Tim
On a cold day, or a Sunday night supper... mmm,good!
Seafood Ingredient: Halibut Fillets
Buy Wild Alaska Halibut Fillets on our Halibut Page
- 2 lbs. Halibut Fillets
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped onions
- 1/2 cup green peppers, finely-chopped
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped carrots
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Remove skin and bones from halibut; cut into bite-sized pieces. Saute vegetables in 3 tablespoons butter. Add halibut, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and heat gently. Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter with flour and add to chowder. Cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley.