Cheesy bread crumbs and a little curry powder are the secret to this baked halibut dish from Great Alaska Seafood
|From the recipe files of Alaska Tim
A very, very special Halibut recipe. Elegant, delicious, and impressive...
Seafood Ingredient: Halibut Fillets
Buy Wild Alaska Halibut on our Halibut Page
- 2 lbs. Halibut Fillets, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Garlic
- 1 16 oz can Tomato Puree
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder, mild to hot
- 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce to taste
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl beat the oil, the garlic and a few grindings of pepper together with a whisk until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Add the halibut and turn until coated and marinate at least 2 hours up to 24 hours.
- In a small sauce pan make the sauce by combining the tomato puree, garlic, the curry powder, lemon juice, soy sauce and chicken stock. Heat to boiling, stir thoroughly and hold at a simmer. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine the bread crumbs and cheese in a plastic bag and add the fish to coat a few pieces at a time. Place coated halibut pieces on a non-fat cooking sprayed flat dish. Arrange the fish side by side with one layer only. Bake the fish undisturbed in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set the pan of sauce over high heat and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and after the fish has baked for about 10 minutes, spoon about half the sauce evenly over the fish. Bake the halibut for about 5 minutes longer. Serve at once directly from the dish and present the remaining sauce in a dish.