Alaska Seafood Recipes - Sfakia Octopus
Seafood Ingredient: Octopus
Serve this with anchovy bread and a warm salad of bitter greens.
• 2 Pounds Octopus or Octopus pieces
• 1.5 Cups red wine vinegar
• 3-6 Garlic cloves (to taste)
• 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
• 1 tbsp. dried oregano
• 1/3 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 TBSP. Minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1 TSP. coarsely ground pepper
• 1 TBSP. capers
• 16 nicoise olives
• Coarse sea salt to taste
In a large nonreactive saucepan, combine the octopus and 1/2 cup of the vinegar. Add water to cover and bring to
a boil over low heat. Cover and reduce heat to very low.
Simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the octopus turns deep pink. Don't overcook, or the octopus will become
rubbery later, in the marinade. Drain, put the octopus in a bowl. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for 1 or 2
hours to chill.
Cut the octopus into 1 inch pieces. Combine the ingredients to make a marinade, and add the octopus, place in
glass bowl, cover and refrigerate for 2 days, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.