Miso Bronzed Black Cod
- 24 oz. Black Cod (Sablefish) Fillets, (4 fillets)
- 1 cup cooking sake
- 1 cup mirin (sweetened cooking sake)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups organic shiro miso (regular miso is acceptable)
- In a sauce pan place sake and mirin bring to a boil and burn off alcohol, lower heat and add miso paste, mix and cook on low heat until smooth for approx. 20 minutes, stir frequently so the miso doesn't burn. Add sugars and stir until smooth and sugar dissolves. Remove from pan and let cool in fridge stirring occasionally.
- After marinade is cool, pat fish dry and place in marinade covering all surfaces for 48 hours.
- Place fish on lined baking sheet pan skin side down in a broiler for 5 minutes. Flip fish to skin side and finish cooking for 5 minutes. If broiler is not available, a regular oven at 375 degrees F for the 7 minutes each side or until desired caramelization.